Erectile Dysfunction (ED) means your man can’t get it (his penis) up or keep it up during sex. Many men suffer from this condition- approximately 30 million men to be exact. To explain what causes this, let’s review the basic anatomy of the penis and what happens during an erection.
The penis has four main parts: glans (the head), corpus cavernosum and corpus spongiosum (the shaft), and the urethra (the hole that you urinate or ejaculate from). When a man is aroused from sexual thoughts or direct stimulation, nerves and hormones work to cause the muscles in the penis to relax and the corpus cavernosum and spongiosum will fill with blood causing the shaft to get hard -- an erection. Another set of muscles cuts off the blood supply when the penis is erect to maintain its hardness. Once he orgasms, the blood will drain and the penis softens.
So what causes erectile dysfunction? There’s more than one answer. Taking prescribed medications to control blood pressure, allergies, anxiety, depression, peptic ulcer disease and or your appetite can lead to ED as can aging, and being depressed. Chronic illnesses such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol which can lead to poor blood flow to the penis can cause a penis to be limp. Drinking too much alcohol, smoking cigarettes, doing illegal drugs, even being too tired, having relationship problems, being stressed out about work or being anxious can cause this problem.
Any type of damage to the penis, nerves, and arteries that help maintain his erection can also lead to ED. The good news is that ED can be treatable. Just talk to your doc -- an urologist. They will do a history and physical and order lab tests. If embarrassment has caused you to turn to the Internet for treatment options, be warned that this can be dangerous. You just don’t know what is in the medications that you get from many online sites. Before you turn to medications or even surgery to fix this problem, let’s discuss some strategies for how to keep a penis erect and how to get harder erections NATURALLY.
1. Make him do more Cardio exercises. He needs only 30 minutes a day. This will boost his testosterone. He may also lose weight, which can help the testosterone to work better. Testosterone is one of those important hormones that work to get an erection. Exercising also reduces stress and increases blood flow -- all factors that can help!
2. Cook for him. There are nitrates in leafy greens, lycopene in tomatoes, and zinc in oysters. These essential nutrients will help keep his penis erect. Diet is so important.
3. Have more FOREPLAY with him. Ladies aren’t the only ones who can need a little extra attention to get in the mood. Sometimes the key to how to get harder erections is to spend more time warming up beforehand. Try oral sex. And remember, oral doesn’t just mean the penis. Play with his nipples or the back of his neck. KISS him more. Add sex toys in the bedroom BUT make sure they are smaller than his penis.
4. Purchase a vacuum penis pump. This fun device will draw blood into the penis to help get it erect. If you have an increased risk of bleeding, have sickle cell anemia, or other blood disorders, this is NOT for you. And be careful -- if not used correctly, this can cause bruising.
5. Try using a cock ring. This sex toy is one my favorite tips for how to get harder erections -- and keep them that way. Just remember that if you are using a silicone cock ring, you’ll want to choose a personal lubricant that is water based as opposed to silicone based, as silicone based versions can cause damage to silicone sex toys. (We can even hook you up with a free sample and a coupon for $1.00 off a full-size bottle to get you started.)
6. Let him be on top. One of the biggest factors in how to get harder erections is the amount of blood flow that he is getting to his penis. Letting your man be on top during sex lets gravity do some of the work for you.
7. Help him relax. If you’re concerned about how to keep his penis erect, the key may be creating a relaxing environment and helping him unwind first. Stress doesn’t just cause high-blood pressure, it can also be the culprit behind his limp penis. Help him by giving him a sensual massage to get him in the right head space before you try to initiate sex.
8. Talk to him about his medications. This can be a touchy subject, but if you feel comfortable, try talking to your man about the medications he is on. Medications for things like depression and anxiety can sometimes cause negative sexual side effects. If you think that might be an issue, encourage him to talk to his doctor to see if there are any adjustments that can be made. Sometimes the trick behind how to keep his penis erect is as simple as switching up his medications.
9.) Brush your teeth together. This one might sound strange, but if your man is concerned about how to get harder erections -- not just now, but in the future -- than good dental hygiene is key. Studies have shown that gum disease is linked to heart problems, so if you want to make sure that he’s getting the proper blood flow everywhere he needs it, take the time to brush your teeth together every morning and every night.
10.) Help him kick his cigarette habit. Smoking can cause a wide variety of health problems, not the least of which is poor circulation -- which is obviously a problem if you’re looking for tips on how to keep his penis erect. If your man smokes, encourage him to get help in quitting. If you smoke also, support him (and your own personal health) by quitting, too.
Sometimes erectile dysfunction is a symptom of a larger health problem like heart disease or diabetes. So if your man is looking for tips on how to keep his penis erect or how to get harder erections, you want to make sure that his struggles in the bedroom aren’t a sign of something more serious. There are a few keys symptoms to look for that signal that it’s definitely time for him to talk to his doctor:
If your partner is dealing with erectile dysfunction and also exhibiting any of the above symptoms make sure that he goes to see his doctor right away to rule out any serious health issues.
Most importantly, ladies (and guys) try not to be discouraging. With a little patience and experimentation, you both will overcome this.
So what do you think of our tips for how to get harder erections and how to keep his penis erect? Let us know in the comments below or tweet us @ASTROGLIDE.
Images are for illustrative purposes only.